Saturday 24 August 2013

Book Review - Summer with my sister - Lucy Diamond

 
Summer with my Sister - Lucy Diamond
Paper back - £5.99 - Here.
Kindle - £2.99 - Here.
Follow Lucy Diamond on twitter @LDiamondAuthor
Visit Lucy Diamonds website Here.
 
I first read one of Lucy Diamonds books about a year ago when I was in Milan on a weekend away.  It was called The Beach Café and I loved it.  I loved her writing style, the characters and I read through the book in record time, I just couldn't put it down.  I came home from my holiday with the intention of buying more of her books and for some reason never did.  Then recently I re-discovered her books starting with this one - Summer with my Sister.
 
Polly has always been the high-flier of the family, with the glamorous city lifestyle to match. Clare is a single mum with two children, struggling to make ends meet in a ramshackle cottage. The two sisters are poles apart and barely on speaking terms. But then Polly’s fortunes change unexpectedly and her world comes crashing down. Left penniless and with nowhere else to go, she’s forced back to the village where she and Clare grew up, and the sisters find themselves living together for the first time in years. With an old flame reappearing for Polly, a blossoming new career for Clare and a long-buried family secret in the mix, sparks are sure to fly. Unless the two women have more in common than they first thought?"
 
The book starts with sister Polly.  She moved away from the small village in which she grew up and now lives in London.  She has a high earning career in the financial industry, lives in a very flashy flat, drives a beautiful car, has gorgeous clothes and make-up and lives her life to the full.  Something bad happens to Polly (she is made redundant) and gradually she starts to lose everything forcing her back home to live with her parents in the tiny village.  Here we get to meet Claire properly for the first time.  She is a divorced mother of two who works as a receptionist in the village doctors surgery.  She is struggling to come to terms with being divorced and quite clearly holds some resentment towards her ex-husband.  When Polly moves back the resentment turns towards her.  Claire clearly detests her sister and quite frankly at this point in the book I was agreeing with her.
 
As things progress in the book you learn that each sister is holding on to a guilty secret from a terrible time during there past and each are living with this secret alone.  The village proves to bring back a lot of memories, good and bad, for Polly and I feel this in some way helps to bring the sisters back together.
 
I found this book so incredibly easy to read.  The characters you meet along the way are all relatable, funny and bring to the book a sense of true life.  The story moves along in a steady pace while all the time remaining easy to follow and without getting boring.
 
Each sister takes on a journey of there own.  Polly finds herself again and begins to realise there is more to life than flashy cars and sometimes the simple things in life are just what you need.  The village, her parents, sister Claire and some characters from her past help Polly to realise this.  There are some times in the book I just wanted to jump in and give her a good shake and other times I wanted to give her a cup of tea and a hug. (tea fixes everything don't you think).
 
Claire learns that not everything needs to revolve around her children and that she too can have a better career of her own all the while remaining a strong and capable single mum and being there for her kids.  She realises that maybe she is better off on her own without that ridiculous ex-husband of hers.
 
All in all it was a truly great read and a book that I managed to read in just a day and a half (it was the weekend and I had no plans and luckily this book got me stuck in right away).
 
I highly recommend reading this book, it was a great summer read that left me feeling sad it was over.
 
Thanks for reading,
 
Speak soon,
 
Natalie xxx
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment